Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Better late than never!

A tad bit late on the blog delivery, but here's last week's report!

To start with, a little pat on my own back.  Swim team pictures came out last week, and I was ecstatic to see how good I looked. I emailed my parents a copy of the swim team picture, and they forwarded it on to my siblings who all told me how great I look!  Meanwhile, I cropped the picture and placed it next to last year's team picture.  I still have a hard time seeing the progress I've made (I mean I KNOW it's a huge improvement, but my eyes deceive me)...Sorry about the smears, I didn't get permission from my swimmers to post them on my blog, so I blobbed them out!
Last year........................this year!

I slept in on Monday morning, after my practice triathlon on Sunday.  I don't do so well with waking up in the dark.  My body is telling me I should still be abed...it's a good thing I have a walking partner to make me get up twice a week!  Monday after work I swam at the club - a mile swim at a relaxed pace.  Tuesday I got up early to meet Berta for our 4.75 mile walk up the Lincoln Grade.  I think it's more difficult in the dark...you can't see where you're going or how far you've come, just feel the burn in the calves and see the stars above your head.  With the addition of 1/2 a mile, our walk has extended to about an hour and 35 to 40 minutes instead of an hour and 22 minutes.  We also start out with the steepest part of the grade right at the get go.  Ever since we were almost run over by a truck racing up the steep part of the hill I think we race up as fast as we can go, so the old heart is pounding away and doesn't get much rest.
What I see when it finally lightens up...

I decided to ride my bike to practice Tuesday afternoon.  Not sure of the mileage, but it took about 20-25 minutes to get there, then after practice I had to ride up hill.  I was proud of myself for my hard work and had just topped the last hill before I turned and had a flat finish when the back end of my bike felt squishy.  My first flat : (  I guess I should have tried out the new bike pump to learn how it worked...I couldn't make it happen!  So I called Kaylin, thinking he was sitting at home, and learned that he was on his way home and almost to my location.  He said he'd pick me up...While waiting I finally got the pump to work, but the tire wouldn't hold enough air.  We loaded my Strada into the back seat of Kay's Honda and drove the half mile home with the rear passenger door open.  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my bike?!
My Strada...

Wednesday I decided to skip the pool as the swim team was planning to hike the grade for practice, so I speed walked the grade with the girls, jogging in a few places.  I was jogging back down at a good slow clip when I realized the other coaches had turned around, so I went back up almost to the top to wait for the last group to get to me, then had to walk to stay with them all the way back to the pool.  I probably did 4.75 miles.
Another view from the Lincoln Grade...

Thursday I didn't get an opportunity to exercise what with packing to head to Oregon, feeding the animals, etc.  So I got a day of rest-ish...After practice we hopped in the car and headed to Portland, arriving at about 10:00 pm.  Just in time to visit for a few minutes, then trundle off to sleep.
Hungry goats...

We left Portland Friday morning at about 7:00 am to head to Corvallis for Kassidy's band preview at Oregon State University.  It was a full day listening to financial aid and application information, watching Kassidy get to play with a couple of ensemble bands, getting a campus tour (though my kids got annoyed at Kaylin and I giving our own asides from our years at OSU - go Beavs!!), meeting up with Lex so she could go birthday shopping with Rylie, and finally watching the OSU Marching Band practice.  I think Kassidy has decided she definitely wants to go to OSU!

After the band preview we headed over to Lon's house where we got to hang out with the family for a couple of hours and were fed an excellent dinner of hamburgers and yummy green beans and salad, then got pumpkin spice cupcakes for dessert!  Before the sugar could make us sleepy we headed over to the coast, and fell face first into bed!

                     Rylie as a mermaid...                                     
                                                                                                       Kassidy's impish grin...

Saturday morning we ate an excellent, calorie dense breakfast at the Drift Inn in Yachats, perused the aquarium and shark exhibit in Newport, then chowed through clam chowder, fried clams, and fried shrimp at Rogue Ale.  Then we purchased plenty of salt water taffy from a shop on the bayfront and headed back to the beach house.  At this point I was feeling sufficiently guilty to jog on the beach.  I ended up going about 4 miles, most of which I jogged, though I must admit to walking a bit at the 2 mile mark and the 3.25 mile mark, and the 3.5 mile mark.  But that was all!  At that point I wanted to lie on the couch and not move, but we went into town to get a few groceries for dinner (yummm, pizza) and movie 300 so Rylie could write a report for school.  All in all it was a great day!
Me during my beach run...

Sunday was spent cleaning and driving, so obviously I didn't get any exercise in.  This made me extremely nervous for weigh-in today...especially since last week I gained a pound.  The scale this morning has me at the same weight as last week (phew!)...so I've got some self-motivating to do!

Hope you keep yourself motivated and hopping!

The (lazing) Marsupial Maven!

No comments:

Post a Comment