Tuesday, December 22, 2015

New Beginnings...

I find a new year rapidly approaching with a sense of failure.  I've lost most of the progress I gained 2+ years ago.  Rather than continue to hide my head by avoiding my blog, I've decided I need to address things head on!


Not all of the reasons for the weight gain and fitness loss are negative in their entirety.  I just need to finally figure out how to make my health a priority instead of trying to fit it in around my busy life...

So as I mentioned in my last post, a few health/injury events caused initial setbacks.  Then my work schedule changed.  It needed to for my family's financial security, but I've always struggled with stress and put others (read work, followed by family, followed by self) first.  And finally, in August I began teaching full-time again.  I enjoy my job immensely, my only frustration is being able to balance my needs with the needs of work and students and family.  My youngest daughter will be graduating in 6 months and I will have most of my summers free, so I feel that I have an opportunity to balance things and I want a fresh start now!

My family always does a gift exchange for the holidays and when asked what I want, I can only respond "My health and happiness back!"  So I'm taking the break to get some habits established and set some priorities.

I've spent the past few weeks scouring the internet for inspiration, and I finally found that my own posts on this blog are the most inspiring for me.  I know how far I've come before and I know that I can do it again.  I'm scared because I know how much work and determination went into my journey previously, but I'm hoping to capitalize on this self-knowledge to help me this time around.  I know how to eat to be successful, I know that I can take a lot of physical activity and that it makes me proud of myself - and I miss that!


So, without further ado, here are my plans:

* I will photograph my progress as these help me to see how far I have come, and though they may be embarrassing, they also are a way of holding myself accountable
* I will plan my meals with purpose instead of just stuffing whatever happens to be convenient at the time in as well as journal my eating
* I will complete the Couch to 5K plan (got a cool app on the phone), then progress to the 10K plan
* I will hike the grade 1-2 days a week (weather permitting this winter, if not safe, I'll supplement with a walk on the treadmill at a steep incline)
* I will find a way to swim at least one day a week (difficult right now as the pool at the gym is under construction) - I'm having my daughter take me to the gym in the town where I work to help me get started with this one!
* I will register for a race this summer - at least a 5k, but I'd prefer a sprint triathlon...this one will take some investigation!
* I will blog here once a week

I guess since I'm setting goals, I will set some rewards as well!

10 lbs - some new running gear - probably gloves and ear warmer or balaclava
20 lbs - new running shoes
30 lbs - more running gear
40 lbs - wetsuit??
50 lbs - start researching skin removal surgery


My next post will be about where I am currently:
* weight
* measurements
* BMI
* info on my goal race for the summer

In the meantime, hope things keep hoppin' along!

The Marsupial Maven
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment